Andrews was one of the first Australian architects to achieve international acclaim. His prolific career included major projects across Canada, the United States and Australia, including Scarborough College (1965) in Toronto, George Gund Hall for the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University (1972), the Cameron Offices (1976) in Canberra, and the Intelsat Headquarters (1988) in Washington DC. The charismatic architect refused stylistic categorisation, and focussed on environmentally responsive design. Andrews’ long career is filled with significant achievements, led by his intuitive design practice of ‘common sense’.
‘John Andrews: Architect of Uncommon Sense’ is published by Harvard Design Press, and includes contributions from Mary Lou Lobsinger, Peter Scriver, Antony Moulis, Philip Goad, and Paolo Scrivano, with photography by artist Noritaka Minami.
Prof. Paul Walker
Paul Walker is a Professor of Architecture in the Faculty of Architecture Building & Planning. Working with colleagues at five universities, he has led the research project on the work of the architect John Andrews in Canada, the United States, and Australia. Walker’s research encompasses contemporary museum architecture and colonial museum buildings in Australia & elsewhere, and mid-twentieth century architecture in Australia & New Zealand. Walker was the leader of the design precedents lens of the University of Melbourne’s Affordable Housing Hallmark Research Initiative, was co-editor of Fabrications, the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia & New Zealand 2007-2012, and is currently Chair of the SAHANZ Editorial Board. He was made a life member of SAHANZ in July 2019.
On the night
– Wine and beer sold by the glass.
– Limited copies of ‘John Andrews: Architect of Uncommon Sense’ will be available to purchase on the night.
– Credit card sales only.
– If it’s your first time to the house, seek out our volunteer guides for a quick tour.
Ticketing Terms & Conditions
– Tickets refundable up to 72 hours prior to the event
– Tickets may be transferred to another name, but we must be notified in advance of name changes.
– Attendees must be 16 years and over.
– No external food or drink should be brought into the house.
– Large bags and backpacks will need to be checked in at entry.
– If you experience Covid symptoms or test positive Covid prior to the event, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Header Image: Cameron Offices, Canberra, John Andrews International, 1968-1976. Photograph by Paul Walker.