Our expert panellists will share the Tower Hill story and will bring insight into the cultural, environmental and architectural importance of Tower Hill. This event celebrates the launch of our new Tower Hill 3D Tour. Generously supported by the Alastair Swayn Foundation, Arup and Phoria the Tower Hill 3D Tour was developed by volunteers from the RBF Digital and Archive Team, in collaboration with Worn Gundidj Aboriginal Cooperative, Parks Victoria, Warrnambool Field and Naturalists, Warrnambool and District Historical Society.
The Tower Hill Visitor Centre was designed by Robin Boyd in 1962 and completed in 1969. Sympathetic in its design, the building responds to the curves of its surroundings and harmonises with the natural landscape.Prior to European settlement, the thriving area was lush with vegetation and native wildlife. European colonists settled on Tower Hill in the 1830s and are responsible for mass genocide of the Gunditjmara people. Over the following years, extensive clearing for farming ensued as well as the introduction of destructive foreign species to the area. By the 1950s Tower Hill had been reduced to a flattened landscape, without any trees or native wildlife.
In the 1960s a grassroots movement led by the Warrnambool Field Naturalists Club worked to revegetate and revive the land by planting trees. They were joined by school groups and community members in the effort. The group used Eugene von Guerard’s 1855 detailed painting of the landscape at Tower Hill as a guide for planting and species selection. This was one of the first community-led revegetation projects in Victoria, which influenced future land management and conservation projects.
Director, Baracco + Wright Architects, Deputy Dean of International at the School of Architecture and Design of RMIT University.
Proud Kirrae Whurrong man, Tour Guide at Budj Bim and former Worn Gundidj cultural officer.
Associate Principal, Lovell Chen
Longtime member of Warrnambool Field Naturalists Club, and Barefoot Biologist.
Professor Hannah Lewi
Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne